We are excited to be able to present to you a free live stream of Complicite’s and Schaubühne Berlin’s Beware of Pity.
It will begin at 3pm GMT on Sunday 12 February and is live streamed from The Barbican in London. The show is completely sold out and these are the only UK dates in the foreseeable future. The performance will be in German with English surtitles.
Simon McBurney directs the outstanding Schaubühne ensemble in a vivid account of a young man’s slide into a terrible situation, his struggle to extricate himself from it raising questions of consciousness and compassion.
Young officer Hofmiller commits a faux pas at a soirée held by a Baron, unwittingly asking his paralysed daughter to dance. The mistake pulls him into a relentless train of events in this devastating depiction of honour, love and betrayal, realised against the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire – a catalyst for the outbreak of the First World War.
Two of Europe’s most boundary-pushing, imaginative theatre companies work together at the Barbican for the first time. Their co-production is based on Stefan Zweig’s 1939 novel, written just before the Second World War but looking back to the verge of the previous disaster. Reverberating in the past and present, the story is relayed in German by seven actors, swapping narration and dialogue to vocally build the tension of McBurney’s orally rich, visually eloquent production.
Beware of Pity follows the five-star triumphs of The Encounter and The Forbidden Zone, the last shows presented here by Complicite and the Schaubühne respectively.
2 hours/no interval
Age guidance 12+
Performed in German with English surtitles
Important Information for the Live Steam
The live stream will begin at 3pm GMT on Sunday 12 February, and will then be available on demand until 11.59pm GMT on Sunday 26 February.
1. Press play and the live stream will begin.
2. We recommend playing the stream at the highest quality. To do this select ‘quality’ and then select ‘720p’. If, however, you experience any disruption or lagging in the video, go back to these settings and choose ‘Auto’.
4. In general… we recommend watching the show with Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Other browsers will work but Internet Explorer in particular could will bring more issues to users.
5. Wifi or wired internet line is recommended but mobile data will also work for live streaming to mobile devices.
6. The show is performed in German and will have English surtitles.
Complicite and Schaubühne Berlin
Beware of Pity (Ungeduld des Herzens)
Adapted from the book by Stefan Zweig
Adapted by Simon McBurney, James Yeatman, Maja Zade and the Ensemble
Directed by Simon McBurney
Co-directed by James Yeatman
Set design by Anna Fleischle
Costumes by Holly Waddington
Lighting by Paul Anderson
Sound design by Pete Malkin
Sound associate Benjamin Grant
Video by Will Duke