We offer some great work experience opportunities across the Theatre Royal Plymouth. Through this, we aim to help you make informed decisions about the breadth of the industry, and also about the arts sector.
We receive a large number of requests for work experience and because of this we have formulated a specific week for young people between the ages of 14 and 17 called Company15.
Over the course of the week, Company15 participants will work with staff from across the organisation both in the Theatre Royal Plymouth and at TR2. The group will be set a series of tasks throughout the week that are related to a play (usually the performance in The Drum at the time) or by creating their own imagined Creative Learning project. Each department will explore the length and breadth of the theatrical world, covering each aspect of how people do their jobs. Please look out for more information in autumn 2019 when applications for Company 15 summer 2020 will open
The Theatre Royal aims to offer a range of work experience opportunities throughout the year. Our placements are designed to offer people over the age of 18 an insight into the context of working within a large scale regional theatre.
The current opportunities are:
- Peer Support Role/ 18Plus Work Experience Opportunity- National Theatre Connections
- Peer Support Role/ 18Plus Work Experience Opportunity- Play in a Week
- Peer Support Role/ 18Plus Work Experience Opportunity- Musical Theatre Academy
- Peer Support Role- Young Company Regular Groups
18 + Work Experience – Playhouse Primary School Festival
As one of the nation’s largest and most successful regional theatres, Theatre Royal Plymouth works with a variety of schools and education establishments in Plymouth and the surrounding area. We are committed to making sure theatre is for everyone by providing pathways for people to take part and get involved.
We are offering a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on experience working with Theatre Royal Plymouth members of staff in a creative, collaborative setting to support one of the festivals we host in The Drum: Playhouse.
This Engagement and Learning placement will enable the successful candidate to work alongside our vibrant and attentive Engagement and Learning (Education) team. Through experiencing a variety of roles, the successful work placement candidate will gain a unique insight into participant engagement and project managing.
When is the placement on offer?
This placement takes place from the Wednesday 10th July to Friday 12th July 2019. The successful candidate will be expected to be available for the whole festival/ placement. Candidates will be asked to work a variety of day time and evening shifts and should be flexible with their working availability.
Who we are looking for?
• A friendly and welcoming team player with fantastic people skills
• A hard working, energetic and enthusiastic person
• A first rate communicator
• A creative problem solver who is empathetic and understanding
• Someone who is comfortable communicating with young people
What will you gain?
• The opportunity to gain knowledge of working in a professional theatre environment
• An insight into the Engagement and Learning team roles of a large and busy theatre
• The opportunity to work with first class, industry leading theatre professionals
• An broad understanding of working with participants, in particular young people
How to apply
To apply please download the attached application form and return Workexperience@theatreroyal.com
Applications open: 10am on 05.06.2019
Applications Close: 10am on 02.07.2019
Applications submitted outside of the above window will not be considered.